4.01.2006

WANDERLUST

From our weary daily grind
Let us run away and hide,
Seek a spot where non will find us,
Leaving care and debts behind us,
And the duties now assigned us,
And the trials by which we're tried.

Let us fill our lungs with freedom
As we flee the nest this morn,
Take the first road nortward turning,
To the Yukon's icy churning,
Take my careless rover's yearning,
These five years sadly worn.

There find Nature's blazing beauty,
Spartan grandeur yet untamed,
There let northwind rant and scold me,
And the wilderness enfold me,
With wild wild bonds to hold me
With a love that's unashamed.

In Spring let us be in Yukon
For the quickening of her earth,
And the many waters flushing
Fetus after fetus rushing.......
Crying, heaving, gushing......
And the bursting forth in birth.

O take this slumbering rover
By the weeds of duty lain....
Set her sleepy heart in motion,
Fill her mind with hope and notion,
Let adventure be her potion,
Then she will live again.

Let us see the northern heavens
Shot with daggers of the sun,
Crimson daggers of the dawning,
Spreading outward, ever spawning,
Till the sky's a crimson awning
And the Yukon's day's begun.

Let us drink our fill of sunshine,
Quench our thirst for virgin ground,
Till our very souls are racing
WIth the Yukon's vivid tracing,
And our hearts are windward facing,
Grown young from sight and sound.

Take me far....but let me travel
With a wandering foot and free....
Resting sometimes, stopping never,
Going on and on forever....
Till death knives rudely sever
The wander lust and me.

Take me quickly when I ask it,
For I'm bound and rooted here,
One light tug now will take me
From the home where children stake [...]
But tomorrow none will shake me
From a duty grown dear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home